Monday, March 5, 2012

Crossing Genres—It's All Good - by Wendy Nelson Tokunaga


I was fortunate to be interviewed by Author Solutions at the San Francisco Writer’s Conference last month. The interviewer noted that, in addition to novels, I’ve written children’s nonfiction books, essays and short stories. She asked what the challenges and benefits are of crossing genres like this.

I had to think about that a bit. It wasn’t in my grand plan of becoming a published writer to consider whether crossing genres would be a good strategy—I just took advantage of any opportunity that came my way. I started out writing short stories, and was lucky enough to get a few published, and that led me to moving on to write novels. But before my novels got published, by a fluke I got the chance to write two kids’ non-fiction books—one on Niagara Falls and a bio of Christina Aguilera when she was still a teen sensation (pre Xtina!). My goal hadn’t been to be a children’s book author, but that didn’t stop me from giving this a shot.

These ended up being my first published books. My name appeared on the covers as the author, but I didn’t receive royalties since the publisher paid only a flat fee. It wasn’t the ideal situation, but I thought it was a terrific opportunity to get some publishing cred under my belt. And, not to mention, working with an editor and having real deadlines were valuable experiences that prepared me when I got my novels published later with a major house. Whether it’s been fiction vs. nonfiction or trad-pubbed vs. self-pubbed, I seem to have done it all, kind of flying by the seat of my pants.

And now this crossing genres has come full circle, with two new releases out this month.

My short story “Love Right on the Yesterday” is appearing in a wonderful YA anthology: Tomo: Friendship Through Fiction – An Anthology of Japan Teen Stories, edited by Holly Thompson and published by Stone Bridge Press. The book will benefit teens in Japan whose lives were upended by the earthquake and tsunami of March 11, 2011. Portions of the proceeds will be donated to the Japanese non-profit, HOPE FOR TOMORROW, to support ongoing relief efforts for teens in Japan.

And I was honored when the story was selected to be published in the Young Adult Review Network. You can read it HERE.

And crossing over into the non-fiction genre, my essay “Burning Up” appears in Madonna & Me: Women Writers on the Queen of Pop, edited by Laura Barcella and published by Soft Skull Press, including writers such as Caroline Leavitt and Cintra Wilson.

So I’d like to know if you’ve ever “crossed genres.” What’s been your experience? And if you haven’t yet crossed over, why not try writing a short story, a picture book, an essay, or some flash fiction? It’s all about our creativity no matter what the form or where it lands.

Wendy Nelson Tokunaga is the author of the novels “Midori by Moonlight” and “Love in Translation,” both published by St. Martin’s Press, and the e-book “Falling Uphill” under the pen name Kelly Sweetwood. She is also the author of the non-fiction e-book, “Marriage in Translation: Foreign Wife, Japanese Husband.” She teaches writing at Stanford University’s Online Writer’s Studio (her online class So Not Chick Lit: WritingNovels About Women’s Lives starts April 9!) and University of San Francisco, and also has her own manuscript consulting service. Visit her at: www.WendyTokunaga.com

18 comments:

  1. Wow, good for you with some high-profile pieces! Yeah I've been all over the map as a writer. I hop from fiction to non fiction to creative non fiction, I even have a half of a vampire novel written (long story, I swore I'd never write a vampire novel, but it was too funny a plot to pass up). I'm about to publish a book of essays in fact (Naked Man On Main Street--look for it soon!). On the one hand it's beneficial to get whatever publishing credits you can, but it also sort of diverts from branding to a certain degree. For instance someone who just writes historical romance, for instance, is far more able to build a steady readership of readers who are looking for just that, whereas readers don't always transcend genres as readily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your book of essays! It's too bad readers don't transcend genders readily. I know I don't have a problem with it as a reader. If I like an author, I'm ready to read all of what she writes!

      Delete
  2. I wrote lots of non-fiction to break into publishing. I wrote for base newspapers (unpaid positions)--lots of human interest articles. Later, I had two stories selected to be included in Chicken Soup for the Military Wife's Soul. They were close to my heart and I was thrilled that they were being published. From there I went on to get my novels published and I've stuck with books since then, mostly because I love writing books. Although, an occasional blog is fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crossing genres. Like you, I began in short stories, then moved to novels. I got a two-book deal for both the collection and debut. I have another novel I shelved (it isn't finished yet) when my father died last year, and I've been writing non-fiction since, to process all that. After I complete this manuscript, I'm returning to the novel-in-progress. After that I have a children's story I want to write, and I'd also LOVE to try my hand at screenplays. It's all good!! The only thing I really don't have any current desire to do again is short stories. I like long form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Wendy! I've never crossed genres, but you make it sound like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I expected, we have such a diverse bunch here. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! It keeps me from being brandable, but I love crossing genres. Even within a single area like YA, I've done contemporary, historical, comedy, drama, problem novel, revisioning of a fairy tale, time travel - my writing's all over the place, and I just can't seem to stop myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Lauren. The downside might be the issue with "brandability" but I can't seem to stop myself either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news Wendy. When opportunity knocked, you were smart enough to answer the damn door. Very inspiring. Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also started out writing nonfiction pieces. I was also a theater critic, an editor of a regional parenting mag and a lifestyle columnist. I've done one shorty story but want to do more. I just LOVE that you wrote a book about Christina and that Madonna book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool that you were a theater critic. Analyzing plays is such good experience for writing your own works. Yes, still have a soft spot in my heart for Christina, though I'm more an AI fan than The Voice. :-)

      Delete
    2. Karin, I was a theater critic, too! I'm still a bit bummed about having to actually pay for plays these days.

      Delete
  10. I also started out writing nonfiction pieces. I was also a theater critic, an editor of a regional parenting mag and a lifestyle columnist. I've done one shorty story but want to do more. I just LOVE that you wrote a book about Christina and that Madonna book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you've crossed genres, Wendy! I'm still writing women's fiction, but maybe in the future I'll experiment with something else. I did illustrate a children's book once. : ) Your online class through Stanford sounds amazing. I need to think about signing up for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's very cool that you illustrated children's books. Hope to see you in the class!

      Delete
  12. I started out as a music reporter and theater critic for an alternative weekly. Then I was a playwright. Then I wrote American Top 40 -- I still have a soft spot for artists who were particularly good interviews, or hosted the show, or cried when their song hit number one, or who were both popular and not boring -- you'd be shocked by how many acts at number one are super boring. I still remember wanting to tear my hair out when acts like Nickelback or The Fray or Pink (surprisingly boring)or some random dude of from England would go on #1 tears. Lemme tell you, I was sooo happy when Lady Gaga came on the scene.

    I recently wrote a non-fiction book for HarperCollins and it was really fun. But in general, fiction stays at the top of the charts in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yes, it's interesting how some stellar musicians can come off as so inarticulate. What a neat background you have--you've done a little bit of everything.

      Delete