Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Show Me The Money

by Maggie Marr















I've been a writer since I was 8 years old.  I turned in the first chapter of a romance book for a writing project in second grade.  What I knew of romance I must have gleaned from lifting paperbacks from my mom's tbr pile.  In third grade I channeled the voice of the cabin boy of Christopher Columbus, wrote a 'journal' in his voice and won an award.  In sixth grade I channeled the voice of an African American child on a slave ship being forced to come to America and won another award.  All from the mind of a Midwestern white child in upper-middle class suburbia.

Yes, I am a writer.

It took me forever to understand that not everyone hears these voices.  Anyone can become a writer but not everyone hears people telling them stories in their head.  Words, that when I hear them, I must then use my knowledge of craft and my practiced skill to actually turn into a story that someone else will want to read and buy.

It took me nearly as long to understand, and then believe, that people make a living writing.  They do.  I have.  There are good years, there are not so good years, and then there are the Oh My God I Am Going To Be Living In A Box Under An Interstate years.

I began my career without the expectation of making a living.  Writing was a hobby.  A joy.  My love.  My passion. I now expect my writing to pull it's financial weight in my life.  I love when art meets commerce.  I am a populist.  Yes, I love the literary writers.  I read Michael Chabon, Toni Morrison, David Foster Wallace (insert any great writer here because I've probably read them). And while I appreciate their prose, and their craft, and I study how and what they are doing and am often amazed by their talents ... pass me a well-written romance any day.

My career aspiration is to be widely read.  This aspiration isn't just about the money.  This aspiration is also about connecting with people.  Being a part of their lives.  Because a writer, for a reader who loves to read, is a part of your life.  I look forward to when Kristan Higgins next book comes out.  I adore Barbara O'Neal, Sylvia Day, Jane Porter, Megan Crane, and Abbi Glines.  I can't wait to read the latest by Robert Crais, Pete Dexter, and Kelly Hunter.  

I want that.  I want people to want to read my books.  I want a fan base.  I want people waiting and anticipating the release of my next book.  Yes, dare I say it, I want to be wanted.

Pathetic?  Who knows?  Who cares?  I am in my forties and I know who I am and what I want.  I want a long-lasting career as a writer and a career is something that you get paid to do.  I want to hit the list, any list, USA Today, New York Times--I want it.  I want every book I write to be better than the last book I wrote.  I want people to enjoy my books.  I want for every reader who buys my books to think--that was a kick-ass story and money well spent.

For me the proof isn't in the reviews--the proof is in the sales.  So show me the money, any time, because the more people who buy my books, hopefully equates to the more people who have read a book by Maggie Marr and (fingers crossed) means that those readers are anxiously awaiting the next book to come out written by me.

Maggie Marr is an author, attorney, and independent producer.  She is currently showing her readers the money by giving away one $100.00 gift card per month for the next 3 months.  Read about it and enter here.  She is the author of Can't Buy Me Love, Courting Trouble, and the Hollywood Girls Club series.  Hollywood Hit the latest installment in the HGC series comes out November 2013.  The first book in Maggie's New Adult series, Hard Glamour, comes out January 2014.  You can find Maggie on FB, Twitter, and her blog.  She lives and works in LA.  


13 comments:

  1. Yes, widely read is an awesome goal, which is why I'm in favor of promotions to introduce new readers to our writing. If it's the right market, the good reviews will come, too. Looking forward to your new adult series, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Malena. I too love a good promotion. It can be a challenge to get the word out about a new book. The difficulty of getting a readership I think is helped by striving to make the next book better than the last. My audience is my customer--they deserve a solid story. I want them to have a great time reading my books. A happy reader is the best promotion of all!

      Delete
  2. Very well said! I want all of that too, Maggie. Maybe we can share? Ha ha. Looking forward to your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robena! I am looking forward to the next release too. xoMaggie

      Delete
  3. You said it, Maggie!!
    And you know I've got my fingers crossed for you on this New Adult series ;). Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. Speaking of hitting a list...Congratulations on that little list called the USA TODAY BEST SELLERS LIST!
      xoMaggie

      Delete
  4. Oh what a fun story - thanks for sharing! I just love it when a reader "gets" my book and really enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. A fabulous feeling when a writer 'gets' a book that I write!

      Delete
  5. Maggie, I loved your post! And feel similarly about fiction...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I long too to have my stories entertain and provide an escape my readers look forward to after a long day at the office, school or other work environment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At a 2001 keynote, YA author Nancy Springer said something so provocative I remember it to this day: "People told me you'll never make a living as a writer. To them I say, 'Define Living.'"

    I love that. If living is having to make tough choices about where to live and what to buy, and if making a living as a writer can include related fields like the developmental editing I do, and if truly living is getting up each day eager to get back to this thing that creates meaning and joy in your life, then wow—I've been making a living as a writer for quite some time now.

    Thanks for putting it out there, Maggie—there's nothing wrong with wanting to make a living from your passion.

    ReplyDelete