Wednesday, September 25, 2013

To Critique or Not Critique: How Other Authors Reading Our Writing Has Impacted Our Work

by

This cycle’s topic could not be more timely.  This morning I will meet two other women writers for the first meeting of a newly formed critique group.  Except I will not call it that. The word ‘critique’ and all it implies, has kept me from meeting with other writers for most of my writing career.  (Two exceptions, both promising, were interrupted by circumstances beyond my control.  Oddly, neither experience made a dent in the protective barriers I’ve placed between myself and the dreadful possibility of criticism.)    
            All this time, I’ve avoided exposing my work-in-progress, afraid, afraid, afraid.   This fear is my enemy, she is almost my pet.  She is the giant cat behind bars,  I am the dog in the foreground, peering off the deck and trying to get the courage to jump off into a new sentence.   .   
            When I analyze this emotion, I’m befuddled.  Other writers are – and always have been – the gentlest of my readers.  They understand the process.  They know how fragile is a writer’s ego. They have, from the time I began to write many years ago, been sweet to me.  Pat Conroy wrote me a postcard full of encouragement.  Joyce Maynard got me my first publishing gig.  Julianna Baggott offered to blurb my first novel.  Jodi Picoult and Carlos Eire were kind enough to read it and praise it too.  Joshilyn Jackson wrote unbidden, a stranger, to tell me she’d loved my book, back when she was a member of the Girlfriend’s Cyber Circuit.  Janis Owen, Lee Smith, Cassandra King, all whispered compliments at various points along the way.
            I have been blessed by the encouraging words of other writers:  Paul Shepherd, Umi Deshpande, Jon Jefferson.  I’m lucky enough to find myself in a town full of talented artists, including Barbara Hamby, Diane Roberts, Maria Geraci, Elizabeth Stuckey-French, Mark Winegardner, Mark Mustian, Jeff Vandermeer, David Kirby, Andrew Epstien.  We are so lucky, in this small city, to worship words, and to enjoy one another’s readings. To heft a glass in celebration when a new book gets published. 
            So why have I closeted myself?  Why have I failed to take advantage of the most basic revision tool in most writers’ repertoires? 
            I believe it’s my imagination.  That’s the real snow leopard.  I can, in a double back-flip of neurotic acrobatics, decide that anything nice that anyone ever uttered was the product of some vast conspiracy of kindness.  Or pity.  That all these people, including my agent, Laura Gross, who I call “the author whisperer” for her ability to coax me out of my madness, have met in secret tunnels to rescue my otherwise doomed sense of self.  (Yes, I am that important!  Yes, I am, as Anne Lamott said, “the piece of shit the whole world revolves around.”)
            Decades ago, my therapist asked, regarding the painful anxiety for which I was seeking her help, “What is it you think you get from this, Sheila?”  I came to understand that my distress was a distraction.  Telling myself the worst could happen, dwelling on disaster, saved me from having to perch myself on that most vulnerable ledge of hope.    
            Now, as I think about this very particular fear of being critiqued by other writers (or anyone at all) I see the similarities.  Am I afraid to believe I might be capable because that is, in a sense, a call to arms?  A call to try, to really try? To put out onto the page everything I have?  If  I fail, the fall will be spectacular.  Worse, it will be witnessed. 
            It is here I must remind myself that a workshop is a place of ordinary labor, of continued toil.  It is not the last judgment, it is not Mr. Everest, not the mythical beast guarding the gate at the hall of a guild to which I will be refused admittance.   The only gatekeeper is me, and she has, for far too long, kept me from seeing the workshop not as a sacred cow but as the muscular draft horse pulling a plow.  I could continue trying to till the creative soil myself, or I could harness myself up and get accustomed to the rough unfamiliar textures of reins and wood, to the pull of legs not my own.  Yes, I could get kicked in the gut.  But maybe I’ll find myself enjoying having a little push, a little pull, all aimed at making this harvest and those to come, a richer, more rewarding pursuit.

Sheila Curran is the author of DIANA LIVELY IS FALLING DOWN and EVERYONE SHE LOVED
This post is not the first time she's exploited her dog to make a point.

10 comments:

  1. As usual, you bring me face to face with the feelings and fears I pretend not to have. I look forward to being there with you on that most vulnerable ledge of hope. I think we're going to find that it's not very high, and below is only your swimming pool (you've already promised me you'll save me if I show signs of drowning.) Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will save you too!
    and you will save me...let's embark on this together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your blog. You wrote lot of valuable information in your blog. Now I read your article attentively. I like your post on resume format 2018. Thanks for your great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly said that when i start to read this blog then i think that this is very good and also heaving very importance. But the author of this blog is not aware of the importance of the virtual assistant service. This is not good to write any kind of blog if you want to write then you must able to get the information about the writing skills . Those who have these kind of skills they are able to start to write the articles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking funny from the name of the topic, but you will find your work in a serious manner. Get the special attention for the critique or not critique. You can also use the summarizing generator for your article to understand it in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While you are doing something or writing something then you might have face the critique and they would say things on it. try this link will give you some handy tips and guide to write your term and others academic papers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eye-catching imagery you have shared in your post. The garden looks beautiful and impressive displays.http://www.articlesummarizer.net/ I will also plan my visit in this vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good content always opens your mind and you can think beyond the barriers so finally this post really meets the requirement.You can also find this.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pixelgun3d mod Why does your interpretation of a phenomenon matter to anyone beside

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are a lot of critics who are writing against the others but when we click for more so we come to know that there are others as well who are helping us to get rid of such critic.

    ReplyDelete